We field many questions from parents, grandparents and others looking for fun, educational toys, and we enjoy providing insightful, personalized answers. In an effort to help more of you who may have similar inquiries, we will now feature your popular and interesting questions!
About Kristin Bushong
I liked my seasonal job at the Growing Tree Toys' warehouse so much, I decided to take on a permanent position in January 2010. Much of the store's selection matches my preferred activities, from arts and crafts to games and puzzles. I also enjoy cooking, gardening, playing the tuba and hanging out with our cat and rabbit! I'm from California and still hooked on my Bay Area sports teams, but you can often find my husband, son and I at State College Spikes games, at the park, or at Growing Tree Toys! In 2005, we had a fun-filled wedding at the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, complete with visits by zoo animals!
When I was a kid the coolest birthday party I had was… at Tilt, a very fun (but as I now see, sadly defunct) arcade and family fun center in Cupertino, CA. It was my ninth birthday and my one and only sister had just been born premature a few weeks earlier. My party went on as scheduled, and I also had the luxury of having some extended family from Pennsylvania attend! At a stressful time it was a fun day of pizza, soda and cake, and of course, tokens, tickets and mediocre prizes.
When I was a kid the coolest thing that ever happened to me in elementary school was… the fact that I was on national TV several times! Our school was chosen to be pen pals with another in Minnesota. We chatted (literally) over these awesome Minitel's, little computers that plugged into our phone lines. "Homework" was literally going home and emailing our pen pals. I know I was interviewed about how "cool" it was, or something, and it replayed EVERY HOUR on CNN Headline News for an entire day. I look back and thank the school for leading me to my computer addiction today.
When I was a kid my very best friend and I used to… make up crazy ways to make money. (I was matron of honor at her wedding, and told this story.) One time we insisted on starting a "fruit stand" outside her house. (Mind you, in the middle of the day exactly NO traffic would be going by.) So her mom drove us to the store, bought all the fruit, and helped us set up. At the end of the day, when no one but her mom had bought anything, she bought it all back from us. I believe we went back to recycling aluminum cans after that...
Author Archive | Kristin Bushong
Tweet February is big in Happy Valley, thanks to a 4-letter word: THON. In the same year as Growing Tree Toys opened its store here in State College, 1973, a group of Penn State students held the school’s first Dance Marathon, with 34 dancers. To quote from the history section of the THON website: “The […]
Tweet State College, PA is of course home to Growing Tree Toys since its opening in 1973. But “Happy Valley” is also infamous for Penn State University, along with its stellar sports teams and philanthropic activities. Both come together in the annual WBCA Pink Zone® festivities held by the Lady Lions basketball team. The WBCA […]
- Just for Fun
- Let's Play!
- News Branch
- Toy Maker Tidbits
- Toy Reviews
- Toy Talk
Follow @growingtreetoys on Twitter
- Try the Toy: Ready2Learn Giant Farm Animal Stamp Set May 3, 2010
- Tragic Norwegian Toy Maker “Ruins” Landscapes with Gigantic Versions of Familiar Toys April 1, 2010
- Get to Know Our Blog Contributors August 31, 2010
- Top Specialty and Learning Toys of 2010 November 4, 2010
- Play Ball! Outdoor Fun with Baseball Toys April 19, 2010
- Pro Hockey is Back! January 6, 2013
- Teeny Tiny Nanoblocks are Great Big Fun! January 3, 2013
- Lights for Life: Helping Kids and the Planet December 28, 2012
- Five Festive Cookie Recipes December 18, 2012
- Top Ten Toddler Toys December 9, 2012
- Pro Hockey is Back!: [...] in NHL logos, this set is made by the same c...
- Top Ten Toddler Toys: [...] pack into their own brown grocery bag. You r...
- Gentle Giraffe Toy Review: [...] see the last “M Reviews” of the ...
- High-Tech Tips for Stargazing: [...] you looked at the night sky recently? We wer...
- Shop by Brand for Top Holiday Toys: [...] now, you may have seen our recent blog posts...