Tweet I checked into the “I Love Horses Coloring and ARTivity Book” from Creativity for Kids this weekend. It’s recommended for ages 3 to 93. I’m sure lots of girls my age like to color and some probably even spend 5 hours on a Sunday morning alone in the kitchen, coloring horses, and drinking pots […]
About Ellen Yates
I never expected to find such an awesome job in my very own home town! As the Growing Tree Toys Copywriter, I get to spend everyday thinking and writing about innovative toys. When I’m not writing for work, I like read, write fiction and paint watercolor pictures that feature silly rainbow dogs. But out of everything in the world, my very favorite is to laugh and hang out with my friends.
When I was a kid the coolest thing that ever happened to me in elementary school was... the Bubble Room! In Fifth grade my teacher made a room out of clear plastic and a fan. It filled up with air to fit the whole class inside! On special occasions or as a reward for good behavior we would all crawl in and listen to stories. That’s actually the coolest thing that happened to me during my whole life. Not because my life has been uneventful, but because the Bubble Room cannot be topped. Not even by time travel, which would also be pretty cool.
When I was a kid my very best friend and I used to… pretend that the squirrels in our town were involved in a large, evil conspiracy to kill us. Every trashcan downtown had a name, such as “Tuna-surprise,” and would protect us from the squirrels if we fed it trash. I’m very pleased to say that she is still my best friend.
When I was a kid the movie/TV show that I would watch over and over again was… the animated version of 101 Dalmatians. But my little sister was weirder. Every day after I left for kindergarten, she would beg my mom to play the tape of me getting on the bus for my first day of school. On the tape she was crying because she missed me. And every day when she watched it, she would cry herself to sleep. Thinking about that makes me love her very much.
When I was a kid I used to dream that I would be… the proprietor of an “Irish Bar.” This was around sixth grade. My grandmother had a painting of an old Irish woman drinking a dark beer in a wood paneled room, which must have inspired this dream. It’s strange that she had the painting, because she’s never had a single drink in her life. She wasn’t pleased that my life’s goal amounted to serving alcohol to picturesque old ladies.
Author Archive | Ellen Yates
Tweet Smearing paint all-over paper is really fun for expressive toddlers—even if the finished picture looks like the aftermath of a Where the Wild Things Are rumpus. Feeling smooth, cold paint between our fingers is among the great physical sensations that humans experience. While finger painting is a therapeutic and tactile activity, controlled paintings can […]
Tweet The last four years of my life are invested in playing The Settlers of Catan. Sure, I did other things like eat and sleep. I guess I went to college. It’s really all a blur with pockets of clarity representing the hours I spent trading sheep cards for wheat cards on Catan. This simply […]
Tweet Not many people would drop 700 dollars on a toy, but the dolls in the Gotz Artist Dolls Collection frequently sell for that much and sometimes even more. Only several hundred each of these limited edition dolls are ever produced. They have real human hair, mouth blown glass eyes and handmade clothing. Some look […]
Tweet In the summer of 1997 in a galaxy far, far away an internal power struggle was creating disturbances in the Force. It was a vicious battle of good against good. Jedi tore through back yards, jumping out of tree forts and wielding improvised weapons as we brutally destroyed our best friends. It was the […]
- Just for Fun
- Let's Play!
- News Branch
- Toy Maker Tidbits
- Toy Reviews
- Toy Talk
Follow @growingtreetoys on Twitter
- Try the Toy: Ready2Learn Giant Farm Animal Stamp Set May 3, 2010
- Tragic Norwegian Toy Maker “Ruins” Landscapes with Gigantic Versions of Familiar Toys April 1, 2010
- Get to Know Our Blog Contributors August 31, 2010
- Top Specialty and Learning Toys of 2010 November 4, 2010
- Math and Money – A Real World Toy Experience November 13, 2009
- Pro Hockey is Back! January 6, 2013
- Teeny Tiny Nanoblocks are Great Big Fun! January 3, 2013
- Lights for Life: Helping Kids and the Planet December 28, 2012
- Five Festive Cookie Recipes December 18, 2012
- Top Ten Toddler Toys December 9, 2012
- Pro Hockey is Back!: [...] in NHL logos, this set is made by the same c...
- Top Ten Toddler Toys: [...] pack into their own brown grocery bag. You r...
- Gentle Giraffe Toy Review: [...] see the last “M Reviews” of the ...
- High-Tech Tips for Stargazing: [...] you looked at the night sky recently? We wer...
- Shop by Brand for Top Holiday Toys: [...] now, you may have seen our recent blog posts...